Internet contains lots of resource and information. We always access it for researching, communicating with friends and teachers, playing interactive game. However, it is important to be aware of what the children see and hear on the Internet, who they meet, and what they share about themselves online. Here is some safety basics when surfing internet. You may also use these to help your children understand as well.
- Never share their names, schools, ages, phone numbers, or addresses
- Never send pictures to strangers
- Keep passwords private (except to parents)
- Never open email from strangers (may contain viruses that can harm the computer)
- Immediately tell an adult if something mean or creepy happens
Here is a website which contain a short animation video. It introduces children to five helpful rules to be safer on the internet. Have a look on Cyber-Five Internet Safety.
For those teachers who are trying to using iPads as a ICT tools for teaching in the class. We can use it for young children with different educational apps. For example, story telling sessions, you can use Doodlecast for Kids, Colling Big Cat iPad apps, Story Wheel, Little Story Maker and Book Creator. You may have a look at detailed description for each in this post. Apart from that, we also can use it with different learning areas and purpose such as creativity, language, literacy, sciences, mathematics, art, music and etc. You may also look at the post from Vicky. She shared a series of apps in different learning areas. Those apps look so interesting. I think it can be used to integrate with lesson for the children to learning best.
There are many ICT tools which can be used to integrate into the lessons. Many of us are using computer, digital camera, smart board and etc. Some of the course mates are using iPad too. Instead of using Laptop, iPads are now common for browsing the webs, playing games, doing presentation, making social and etc. It is very convenient as light in weight to be carried. It made our life easier by using it as you can do so many things any-time and anywhere. As teachers, we can use it for teaching. Here is post, Top Five iPad Apps for Teaching Across All Content Areas which shared by Vicky. Those top five iPad Apps is really useful. It enables teachers to use for teaching in the classroom. And, the most important thing is..these apps are all FREE.
In the previous post, I mentioned about instructional software. It is developed fir the purpose of delivering instruction or supporting different learning activities. Teachers need to recognize the functions of technology products before they can appropriately design and also implement for instructional purposes.
To make effective use of instructional software, teachers should determine all the activities contained in a given instructional package and understand each one according to its instructional function. Here is an link, Teaching with Instructional Software for teachers like me who need some guidelines on how to integrate it with lesson. I can gain some understanding and knowledge in order to plan some learning experiences which incorporate ICT to suit my learning context and diversity of learners.
Instructive tools are applications for children to learn information. There are 6 types of instructional software.
Following is those instructional software and its characteristics.
1. Drill and practice. It is used to let the children master the skill or knowledge at their pace under an assumption on that the initial skills or knowledge has been taught. Repetitive exercises allow children to practice their basic skills or knowledge in a variety of subject areas.
2. Tutorial. This software emphasized on learning-by-doing. It begins presenting specific new information about a topic by using text, graphics, sound or video clips. It is used to enable the children to learn at their own pace, usually without any help or other materials from outside of the software.
3. Simulation. It provides opportunities to interact with real-world situations without danger, expense, or difficulty associated often with the real things. In so, children use their prior knowledge of the subject area to make decisions and solve their real life problems.
4. Instructional game. It provides an interesting and challenging game environment in which children are motivated by competition and game rules to strive to reach their goals.
5. Problem solving. It promotes children’s higher-order thinking skills like logic, reasoning, pattern recognition, strategies or etc.
6. Multimedia encyclopedias. It stores a huge database with full text, still images, animation, audio and video. It can be used to access any desired information by searching its vast contents.
Here is a link which include a detailed information on instructional software, Introduction to Instructional Software.
May is coming. It also means that professional experience is around the corner. Before the professional experience started, there are some preparations need to be well organised. First, I had arranged an Orientation visit to familiarize myself with the context of professional experience. In this coming professional experience, I need to select ICT to suit the learning context and diversity of learners. I also need to plan learning experiences which incorporate ICT to implement curriculum intent.
After get to know the context of the centre, it is time to think about the planning. During the process, there is a question which I always think. What applications can be used for teaching and learning? While I am doing the researches, I find that one of my friend, Siannee, also have same problem. She shared some ideas which she found, What is your application for your classroom.
I hope that I can be well organized to begin my prac. And, I look forward the last practicum in study life.
After submitting the assignment 2, I felt a bit release.
When I was doing the assignment 2, there was an online word processor which has been used by the lecturer. It can be used to create and format text documents and collaborate with other people in real time. It is google docs. Do you know it? You may look at this video, Introducing a new Google Docs to get to know it.
For me, it is a combination of Microsoft Word, Dropbox, and Primary Pad. It is a free online product that you can access anywhere as long as your tool can be connected to internet. It really helps. I think it is not only work on me as it work as well as my course mates. Many of them make commends on this docs. One of them listed out the benefit of using this Google docs. Click this, Google doc. It is from Chee Hoi.
After watching the video and reading those benefits, you may try and use this. After using it, I think you will really make a recommendation on it.
In my previous posts, Nick Jr Online Kids Games and Are computer developmentally appropriate for young children?, there is a similarity. It is developmentally appropriateness no matter games or computers. It should be suitable and balance. It is essential when you integrate it into your curriculum.
Appropriate software for young children should:
1. Encourage exploration, imagination, and problem solving
2. Reflect and build on prerequisites of the children
3. Involve many senses like include sound, music and voice
4. Be open-ended
Sianne mentioned about how to choose developmentally appropriate software for young children in her blogpost. Moreover, the professional judgement from a teacher is required to determine if a specific use of technology is developmentally appropriate. Hence, there are steps for software selection:
1. Analysing the needs for satisfying particular learning goals and objectives.
2. Specify requirements (Eg. accommodation of different abilities, easily accessed by the children)
3. Identify promising software
4. Read relevant reviews
5. Preview software (Are the learning objectives achieved when the children use it? How is the children interact with the software?)
6. Make recommendations by creating a written record outlining the reasons
7. Get post-use feedback ( can be significant help to a school’s systematic process of software selection, purchase and use)
Technology can be used to make a difference. Technology should be supplement to learning and not lead the learning. It can be a positive factor in children’s learning process if used appropriately. Be smart for selecting a good one for the children.
A current issue of great importance and concern for early childhood educators is the assessment of preschool children. There are many and various reasons to assess young children. According to Beaty (2006), the purposes of assessing children’s development in this manner are twofold. First, it allows student of child development to gain an in-depth understanding of real children and their sequences of growth. Next is it helps teachers of young children to become aware of each child’s growth and to support individual development with appropriate activities and materials.
A form of assessment in which students are asked to perform real-world tasks that demonstrate meaningful application of essential knowledge and skills (Mueller, 2012). This is the definition of authentic assessment. Here is a video, Authentic Assessment. It give an overview of authentic assessment.
For assignment 2, I need to plan and create assessment for the unit plan. After I read through this website, What is Authentic Assessment by Jon Mueller. I think that traditional testing methods do not test many skills and abilities students need to be successful. An authentic assessment which utilizes performance samples will be more appropriate. For example, performance assessment,Open-response questions, portfolios and etc. I believe that students need some learning activities that encourage the student practice higher-order thinking skills as I value their learning process as much as the finished product.
Do you agree on the topic?
Can you imagine you live without technology?
In today’s digitalized world, technology helps us do works and make our life easier. It also make our life more convenient. I think it is an impossible mission. (For me :p)
I found an interesting video from Chee Hoi’s blog post, Asians at work. This video, Asians At Work, shown that how technology has influenced our life. She share this video as she sees herself in this video. Do you?
Yes, I also found myself in that video!!
Luckily, content of the video is not exactly like me. It just a little look alike. :p
By the way, it really influences me and my life.
It is so true. How about you?